In 1884 tin ore was discovered in the Barrier Ranges, just west of the ridge known as Byjerkerno, about 75 km north of Broken Hill. Here, on the south side of the Euriowie Creek and mostly on the western side of the current Silver City Highway, a substantial settlement developed.
Its population grow to around 700, with more than 80 men employed in the tin mines.
The township was mostly built of galvanized iron, but boasted two banks, three stores, perhaps as many as six hotels and other places of business. By the end of 1887 there was a police station, even a race course, but no church. The local school closed in 1918, but after protests from the local community it reopened on a part‐time basis. The teacher was stationed at nearby Tarrawingee and alternated between the communities.
Of the hotels, only the Euriowie continued to function until the 1930s when it was abandoned, and the post office closed about the same time. A tin‐dressing plant operated prior to World War II. Significant ruins of the town remain today, together with the cemetery located on the north eastern side of Euriowie Creek.
Early shareholders in the Euriowie tin‐field were rewarded with new found wealth, but these were not rich mines, raising just three or four tons of ore in 1899. By 1901 there were just twelve men employed in the Wheal Byjerkerno Mine.