Packsaddle is a locality on the Silver City Highway located 177 kilometres north of Broken Hill famously known today for its roadhouse.
The area was named after the ephemeral Packsaddle Creek that rises in the hills to the east of the Silver City Highway and flows to the west.
During the days of early settlement a travelling stock route through the area enabled cattle and sheep to be walked from the north to markets in the south, calling in at the Packsaddle Hotel that was built not far from today’s roadhouse in 1887.
The Packsaddle Roadhouse was built in 1958 by Bill Vickers on a site that was originally part of the surrounding Packsaddle Station. Today it is a well-known and much loved roadhouse where guests can enjoy a cold drink, a hearty meal and a friendly conversation with the owners and staff.
Accommodation options include rooms and caravan sites.
Packsaddle is also a centre for the local community with the State Emergency Service fire truck located onsite, and a clinic room for regular visits by the Royal Flying Doctor Service. An airstrip is located nearby.