Corner Country Towns
Corner Country towns have a shared heritage, based firstly on the exploration of the region by Charles Sturt, in 1845, then by on the discovery of gold in the late 1870s. From the bustling heyday of the Albert Goldfields just two of the four original townships remain.
Tibooburra, once known as The Granites, is the undisputed “Capital of the Corner Country”, the most remote township in New South Wales, and the ultimate destination of those travelling to the Corner Country and beyond. Its modern service station and caravan park, store, and two traditional hotels each service both the local community and travellers alike.
Tibooburra is also the home of the headquarters for Sturt National Park, as well as a Keeping Place of local Indigenous artefacts.
Milparinka, 40 kilometres to the south of Tibooburra, is something of an enigma, a town that thrived during the 1890s but gradually declined as the prospect of growing wealthy from gold discovery also declined. Set on the banks of Sturt’s Evelyn Creek its heritage value is outstanding. The Albert (Milparinka) Hotel and the beautifully restored sandstone Courthouse and police station complex complement each other. A volunteer-run Visitor Information Centre and local history interpretive museum operates from March through to October.
Milparinka remains, a ghost of its former self but with a hotel, campsites and a beautifully restored Heritage Precinct that incorporates public buildings with an interpretive and visitor centre.
Tibooburra holds pride of place as the “Capital of the Corner Country”, with two hotels, a roadhouse, caravan-park, motel, store and several camping places, as well as the office for the nearby expansive Sturt National Park.
Cameron Corner, where the three adjoining states meet, is a relatively short drive through the Sturt National Park from Tibooburra, where one can cross state borders and visit three times zones in very quick succession.